ADVERTISEMENT

SSR #6 Jared Harper

Denim Vest

Feb 9, 2011
maxresdefault.jpg

The show must go on as we count down the sexy studs of AU Hoops. Can always go back and discuss any of these youngsters but checking in at #6 is a baby faced assassin named Jared.

The smallest, most adorable member of the squad, sweet Jared is a fierce competitor with all the skills to mature into an elite SEC PG. Showed flashes of brilliance from long range and scoring off the dribble last season. Carried us to a few victories with his scoring but word on the street is he’s improved tremendously orchestrating the O and facilitating in the offseason.

Strengths: Complete scorer who can shoot it from deep or take it to the rim and score over bigs. Smart, crafty player that uses his lack of size to draw whistles on both ends of the floor.

Weaknesses: Just so tiny can get bullied easily. Needs to improve his assist:TO ratio to be a complete PG and get this O operating at its highest level. Not strong enough with the ball against pressure or end of game situations.

Contribution: presumed starter at PG. Will battle for that role all year with DAVION. Should average around 10 and 5. Hopefully his toughness and willingness to draw charges rubs off on the rest of the squad this year.

The GREG ranking: #6

Lil Marlo Stanfield

Love that kid. He's afraid of nothing.

He started hot last year and trailed off a bit as the year went on. Not abnormal for a true frosh. If he can be the guy we got early last season more consistently he can be a huge part of this team improving. Add to it the increased ability to lead and run the offense and this could get fun.

Lil Marlo Stanfield

Love that kid. He's afraid of nothing.

He started hot last year and trailed off a bit as the year went on. Not abnormal for a true frosh. If he can be the guy we got early last season more consistently he can be a huge part of this team improving. Add to it the increased ability to lead and run the offense and this could get fun.
I'm expecting to see many thunderous dunks from Mac/Austin off a dish from Jared this year. He really was exceptional most of last year but got a bad wrap for a couple poor performances towards the end. Particularly our last game that I don't want to talk about cause I'll get HOT.

Yeah. Hopefully he’s learned to calm the fugg down during bad portions of the game. Running down the court jacking threes before anyone is in postis just dumb. Really wasn’t much wrong with him other than he just needs to play a lot smarter/calmer at times

I think this is another great example of how talented we are. I would probably have Jared higher, but I could easily see scenarios where he ends up higher or lower at the end of the season. I believe I had Jared ranked ahead of Purifoy, who is talented but didn't have nearly as good a season last year in my eyes.

I think this is another great example of how talented we are. I would probably have Jared higher, but I could easily see scenarios where he ends up higher or lower at the end of the season. I believe I had Jared ranked ahead of Purifoy, who is talented but didn't have nearly as good a season last year in my eyes.
Yes I let the GREG guide me a bit through this stretch of the rankings. Felt like I wanted to rank Jared/Davion next to each other. Danjel could make a case for anywhere from 1 to behind a few walk ons.

Yes I let the GREG guide me a bit through this stretch of the rankings. Felt like I wanted to rank Jared/Davion next to each other. Danjel could make a case for anywhere from 1 to behind a few walk ons.
I'm Mizzou now on Danjel. He had my hopes up last season but really let me down. I'm concerned about his approach, his tenacity an his handle. I think he didn't drive much because he doesn't trust his handle and if that's the case he's got a real problem.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I won't buy any Purifoy hype until I see it.

I'm Mizzou now on Danjel. He had my hopes up last season but really let me down. I'm concerned about his approach, his tenacity an his handle. I think he didn't drive much because he doesn't trust his handle and if that's the case he's got a real problem.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I won't buy any Purifoy hype until I see it.

Yeah I'm selling his stock as strictly a 3 point shooter, which he appeared to try to be at times last year. I will buy the stock if he sometimes shoots 3's, but usually creates off the dribble. I hadn't even considered that handles could be the problem. That would be a huge issue if true.

Yeah I'm selling his stock as strictly a 3 point shooter, which he appeared to try to be at times last year. I will buy the stock if he sometimes shoots 3's, but usually creates off the dribble. I hadn't even considered that handles could be the problem. That would be a huge issue if true.

He just wasn't strong with the ball. He only drove well when it was wide open. Any traffic and he struggled. He continually lost control of the ball, not to the level of turnovers where it was obvious, but it was things like a slight mis-dribble that slowed him down enough to make him back it out or pass it out to someone else when he could have gotten to the rack.

I need to see better handles. It looked to me like a guy who wasn't tested often enough in HS and AAU for whatever reason and then was a bit shocked by the college game.

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
Demeat has never been to a game in the new arena. Who will take me as their guest so I can see all this sexiness in person?

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
maxresdefault.jpg

The show must go on as we count down the sexy studs of AU Hoops. Can always go back and discuss any of these youngsters but checking in at #6 is a baby faced assassin named Jared.

The smallest, most adorable member of the squad, sweet Jared is a fierce competitor with all the skills to mature into an elite SEC PG. Showed flashes of brilliance from long range and scoring off the dribble last season. Carried us to a few victories with his scoring but word on the street is he’s improved tremendously orchestrating the O and facilitating in the offseason.

Strengths: Complete scorer who can shoot it from deep or take it to the rim and score over bigs. Smart, crafty player that uses his lack of size to draw whistles on both ends of the floor.

Weaknesses: Just so tiny can get bullied easily. Needs to improve his assist:TO ratio to be a complete PG and get this O operating at its highest level. Not strong enough with the ball against pressure or end of game situations.

Contribution: presumed starter at PG. Will battle for that role all year with DAVION. Should average around 10 and 5. Hopefully his toughness and willingness to draw charges rubs off on the rest of the squad this year.

The GREG ranking: #6

Good stuff man!

I want to carry him on my shoulders like he's my son. He'll point at things in wonderment and I'll say something like, "That's right Jared. Those are birds," or whatever the fug and we'll continue our stroll through the park.

I'm giving a test and I just lulzed loudly.

Reactions: Boytano
I’ll be the wet towel in this party - but I was continually disappointed by SWEET JARED last year...

the good:
clever and willing defender
generally unafraid - he made mistakes, but rarely out of fear or because the moment was too big
very good range
finished much better than his size suggests

there’s a lot to like and work with there...

but his actual point guard skills were inconsistent at best... he showed an alarming lack of awareness, and didn’t improve over the course of the season - if anything those problems got worse... below average facilitator in transition... unreliable ball handler and free throw shooter late in games...

he was the exact opposite of the player I expected - which isn’t his fault, he can’t be blamed for my expectations and others scouting reports... but I was expecting a heady, high iq, pass first point guard who would struggle to score but his feel for the game would allow him to succeed... instead he was a mad bomber who showed surprising ability to get to the rim and finish, but had zero concept of running a team or offense and no feel for getting other players involved...

I’m cautiously optimistic that will get better, but I think most of that is innate... point guards are born, not made... so regretfully, he slots in at #8 on my list preseason

I’ll be the wet towel in this party - but I was continually disappointed by SWEET JARED last year...

the good:
clever and willing defender
generally unafraid - he made mistakes, but rarely out of fear or because the moment was too big
very good range
finished much better than his size suggests

there’s a lot to like and work with there...

but his actual point guard skills were inconsistent at best... he showed an alarming lack of awareness, and didn’t improve over the course of the season - if anything those problems got worse... below average facilitator in transition... unreliable ball handler and free throw shooter late in games...

he was the exact opposite of the player I expected - which isn’t his fault, he can’t be blamed for my expectations and others scouting reports... but I was expecting a heady, high iq, pass first point guard who would struggle to score but his feel for the game would allow him to succeed... instead he was a mad bomber who showed surprising ability to get to the rim and finish, but had zero concept of running a team or offense and no feel for getting other players involved...

I’m cautiously optimistic that will get better, but I think most of that is innate... point guards are born, not made... so regretfully, he slots in at #8 on my list preseason

This could easily be 100% true. That being said, I felt like Jared was one of those guys who just wants to win more than anything. If he could win by being more of a point guard then he would do that, but as he watched the team fall behind or go through scoring droughts he was like "f*** this, I'm gonna score and we are going to win." This could of course just be the hopeful boog in me.

ADVERTISEMENT