ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Potential AU Coaching Hires in December 2019?

ThrustMaxwell

Apr 22, 2015
Jeff Brohm is obviously still at or near the top of my list. Bring him in with the condition he keeps Steele and the defensive staff intact (unless CKS wants to replace someone) and pay him 1/2 of what we're paying Gus. This is of course dependent on some larger program not scooping him up after this season. I think most will want to see him continue to build a program at Purdue though, so he's probably available.

Bill Clark is a FOOTBALL COACH if I've ever seen one. The man is all over building a program and knows how to get every ounce of effort out of his players. He also has great connects all over the Southeast in the HS coaching world. Seems like he'd be willing to get his hands dirty too, or at least allow others to do so to his benefit.

edit: I am officially adding Mark Stoops to my list. He's basically doing what Franklin did at Vanderbilt, just at a different traditionally poor football program. Dude knows how to coach some ball and is obviously building something there. Also, the coaching tree he comes from his top tier. Will he be available in 2019 is a big if though. If he gets 10 wins out of this UK team, he gone more than likely.

Who yah got? I have a few other potential ones kicking around in my head but want to do some more research on them first. It has to be someone with fire in their belly and a comprehensive plan to build a program with the capability of pulling it off. Also, I'm thinking we have to go relatively cheap with the expense of buying out the entire offensive coaching staff at minimum.

Last edited:
I’d still take the Minnesota coach (Fleck?). Maybe Pat Fitzgerald or the Stanford coach.
David Shaw isn't going anywhere. Your other two would probably leave where they are now, but someone would need to prove to me they're the answer.

Charlie Strong will probably be on the list. The hire wouldn’t excite me but I would trade for him right now

I am officially adding Mark Stoops to my list. He's basically doing what Franklin did at Vanderbilt, just at a different traditionally poor football program. Dude knows how to coach some ball and is obviously building something there. Also, the coaching tree he comes from his top tier.

Will he be available in 2019 is a big if though. If he gets 10 wins out of this UK team, he gone more than likely.

I honestly don’t know if we could pluck a HC from a mediocre p5. Look at the guys we’ve hired the last 40 yrs or whatever. Had some glorious opportunities to pluck a Petrino or Jimbo recently. Personally I wouldn’t have a ton of interest leaving a cush 4-5M/ yr gig at a Purdue or UK or whatever to come to boogville and deal with all the shit that comes with it. Lane or some other hot shot mid major corch we haven’t heard of yet would be about best case.

Reactions: Fatz Geronimo
I honestly don’t know if we could pluck a HC from a mediocre p5. Look at the guys we’ve hired the last 40 yrs or whatever. Had some glorious opportunities to pluck a Petrino or Jimbo recently. Personally I wouldn’t have a ton of interest leaving a cush 4-5M/ yr gig at a Purdue or UK or whatever to come to boogville and deal with all the shit that comes with it. Lane or some other hot shot mid major corch we haven’t heard of yet would be about best case.
We will see. Greene seems to be doing all the right things for BRUCE. He might be willing to do the same for a competent hut hut coach as well.

Hopefully no news from Greene re: Gus right now is good news and he's just letting him die on the vine. We must remember, he had no part in this garbage football program. He merely inherited a huge rebuilding project that starts next December.

Behind the scenes it's my hopes that it has already started. Keep Brohm or Stoops where they are now somehow and we have a good opportunity to make a fairly quick turnaround.

Last edited:
Exhibit A in the case of Greene vs. Obbern History:

090818_fb_asu_wr_4898.JPG

vs.

11276199.jpeg

Yeah Greene is strikingly handsome and dapper af. Certainly should be able to procure more talent than the previous bumpkin. Boogville still a pretty tough sell for guys making decent coin elsewhere though.

Serious question: Would a 2012 type meltdown get Gus canned next year? Hate to root for that, but it seems more likely than not considering all the losses on defense and you have to assume the offense will be even more dumpsterfireish

Serious question: Would a 2012 type meltdown get Gus canned next year? Hate to root for that, but it seems more likely than not considering all the losses on defense and you have to assume the offense will be even more dumpsterfireish

What’s the most amount of cash a school has ever stumped up to can a coach? I just can’t see the Boogs ponying up 30 million to get rid no matter how bad it is.

I’m still hoping for the nervous breakdown, non fatal but career ending heart attack to happen

I mean, I was being a bit facetious. But Urban Meyer did fake a heart attack because he didn't want to deal with Saban anymore. So there is a precedent for coaches doing it. Would be awesome if Zahn just got fed up, complained about chest pains, then fugged off to some ACC school where there's no pressure.

I've never been hot on Fleck. I was hoping @Ser Sweater Vest would try to sell me on him with some facts though.
I don’t have a lot of stats or anything to throw off the top of my head, I just know he’s the complete opposite of Gus. Young guy who can light a fire in his players and will have his guys willing to do whatever it takes for their coach. I think having a players coach goes a long way. I don’t think there are any guys who would stop and piss on Gus if he were on fire.

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
rain fvcked up the flow of the game and probably cost Memphis a W, but that clock management on the last drive disqualifies King Wigger from consideration this go round

I’m a free agent... my eyes are peeled for the next mysterious stranger to catch my eye

Whoever it is they have to be able to recruit. Coach O is proving anyone can do pretty well with top coordinators and recruiting well.

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
*** 10/13/2018 Update ***

Jeff Brohm
Purdue wins 41-7 over Illinois. This is Purdue's 3rd straight win, bringing their record to 3-3 after starting off 0-3 by a combined 8 points.

Bill Clark
UAB beat's the Temple Owls 42-0 to bring their record to 5-1 and 1st place in the CUSA West.

Mark Stoops
Bye Week. Kentucky sits @ 5-1/3-1 and controls it's own destiny. I just remembered Eddie Gran was OC and recruiting/evaluating talent at UK. No wonder they're out-rushing AU by 2.1ypc.​

Last edited:
Reactions: demeat and WDE_Tarp
we really, for the good of the school shouldn't be rooting for them to fire gus. We all knew this was a major possibility when he got the extension, AU was put in a tough spot.

Really should just be putting feelers out and trying to use this as an opportunity to hold a 2 year coaching search for the perfect guy.

we really, for the good of the school shouldn't be rooting for them to fire gus. We all knew this was a major possibility when he got the extension, AU was put in a tough spot.

Really should just be putting feelers out and trying to use this as an opportunity to hold a 2 year coaching search for the perfect guy.

You pay the same amount either way. 2 years of Gus Salary plus the remaining 16 mil. Account into that 2-3 years of Gus subpar OL and running back recruiting and QB nondevelopment and is it worth keeping him?

Reactions: midnighttulips
You pay the same amount either way. 2 years of Gus Salary plus the remaining 16 mil. Account into that 2-3 years of Gus subpar OL and running back recruiting and QB nondevelopment and is it worth keeping him?
you pay his salary and another top coaches salary, its not the same.

you pay his salary and another top coaches salary, its not the same.
Is it offset by what's lost keeping Gus employed though. That's what has to be asked by the University and those who pay the bills. What's the ROI for keeping him? What's it look like replacing him? How many years of bad football and poor fan travel can the City of Auburn bear with it's debt load?

ADVERTISEMENT