ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Potential AU Coaching Hires in December 2019?

Absolutely hate the idea. We're talking about the person who ran the monster Saban built at LSU into the ground. Ed Orgeron is literally a better coach than he is.
Agree if we want a stale do nothing offense where we recruit DT QBs for no reason then why shell out 32 mil. We already have that corch

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
I'm surprised no one mentioned Matt Campbell at Iowa State. I think he could be a good one, at a real school.

It's the whole Iowa St jinx angle. We hired Chizik from here. Fail. We hired Steven Leath from there, who in turn put us squarely in the middle of this Gus contract/buyout shitshow and might also get the ax along with Gus. Fail. Nothing against Matt Campbell, I think he's a great coach. I'm just not trying to go down the stupid fvcking Iowa trail of destruction again.

Seriously, he'd be a good hire and so much better than what we have right now. I am a bit skeptical about his recruiting prowess, especially in the southeast. Being surrounded by Saban and Kirby and even Orgeron and Jimbo, recruiting is imperative. Would be my biggest worry about him.

It's the whole Iowa St jinx angle. We hired Chizik from here. Fail. We hired Steven Leath from there, who in turn put us squarely in the middle of this Gus contract/buyout shitshow and might also get the ax along with Gus. Fail. Nothing against Matt Campbell, I think he's a great coach. I'm just not trying to go down the stupid fvcking Iowa trail of destruction again.

Seriously, he'd be a good hire and so much better than what we have right now. I am a bit skeptical about his recruiting prowess, especially in the southeast. Being surrounded by Saban and Kirby and even Orgeron and Jimbo, recruiting is imperative. Would be my biggest worry about him.
That's the main concern I would have, is recruiting. Now, if he got some southern guys recruiting for him, that would help. I remember him at Toledo. Hell of a coach.
And I do see why you would be hesitant due to the Iowa State thing. But I'll say, Chizik was a baffling hire for you guys. He wasn't doing very well at Iowa State.

That's the main concern I would have, is recruiting. Now, if he got some southern guys recruiting for him, that would help. I remember him at Toledo. Hell of a coach.
And I do see why you would be hesitant due to the Iowa State thing. But I'll say, Chizik was a baffling hire for you guys. He wasn't doing very well at Iowa State.

IMO Chizik was hired mainly because of Jay Jacobs. Jacobs had a history of hiring people he knew and was comfortable with, and with Chizik having a solid 2-year stint at Auburn as DC in 03-04 under Tubs, Jacobs made the easy hire.

For Campbell, it would really depend on who he hired as assistants. Another thing I'd worry about is our boosters and power players seem to think their money carries more weight than it actually does, and we have some who want to use that money as power to try and tell HCs what they should do and who they should hire. Does Campbell have the personality and strength to both win those guys over while telling them to just donate their money and stay the fvck out of the way?

IMO Chizik was hired mainly because of Jay Jacobs. Jacobs had a history of hiring people he knew and was comfortable with, and with Chizik having a solid 2-year stint at Auburn as DC in 03-04 under Tubs, Jacobs made the easy hire.

For Campbell, it would really depend on who he hired as assistants. Another thing I'd worry about is our boosters and power players seem to think their money carries more weight than it actually does, and we have some who want to use that money as power to try and tell HCs what they should do and who they should hire. Does Campbell have the personality and strength to both win those guys over while telling them to just donate their money and stay the fvck out of the way?
That last part may be daunting for many coaches.

Reactions: DufnerFanBoy
That last part may be daunting for many coaches.

Yeah. IMO the bigger issue there is getting all of those donors on the same page with the hire, which is seldom done. There are really only a handful of coaches who have proven they can handle that, but I think a strong personality could also do it. But part of that comes with experience of dealing with it at some level.

Whoever it is better have a plan not only for on- and off-field football success but also for the off-field, monetary, politicking portion of the job. Whoever gets the job needs to get everyone on board quickly and everyone pulling the rope in the same direction, which hasn’t seemed to be the case at Auburn during my lifetime aside from Lowder’s time running Auburn athletics.

Gonna be interesting if this all goes down. Gonna see what Allen Greene is made of or if he just bows to the whims of the donors. Gotta think he's washed his hands of this whole Gus situation because he's obviously not protecting him, and he's got some people in mind.

Gonna be interesting if this all goes down. Gonna see what Allen Greene is made of or if he just bows to the whims of the donors. Gotta think he's washed his hands of this whole Gus situation because he's obviously not protecting him, and he's got some people in mind.
literally licking my lips in anticipation
giphy.gif

Yeah. IMO the bigger issue there is getting all of those donors on the same page with the hire, which is seldom done. There are really only a handful of coaches who have proven they can handle that, but I think a strong personality could also do it. But part of that comes with experience of dealing with it at some level.

Whoever it is better have a plan not only for on- and off-field football success but also for the off-field, monetary, politicking portion of the job. Whoever gets the job needs to get everyone on board quickly and everyone pulling the rope in the same direction, which hasn’t seemed to be the case at Auburn during my lifetime aside from Lowder’s time running Auburn athletics.
There's so much more to being a coach, in this era. They really do earn those millions, at times. Especially football coaches in the SEC. The ones at the upper level schools. Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee. It's difficult to please most of the people, most of the time. And there's always some idiots who are never happy. It's not a great year to be trying to poach an established coach. Even at a place like Auburn. I almost think you take a chance on a young guy, up-and-comer. Because you surely don't want a used-up retread. It's up to your athletic director to make a good pick. Like Florida did with Spurrier. And stick with him, a bit. If he works out, you'll have him for life. It's tough making that call. A few bad hires can wreck your program. I don't think Gus was a terrible hire, but I think his time has passed as your coach. He needs to go, contact or no.

I think Greene is going to try to hire a hot shot P5 coordinator if he has his way. I don’t know who that is though

Reactions: L I G E R
I think I have the largest acceptable list I have ever had.

Homerun Hire:

Bob Stoops - honestly my initial reaction was that I didn't want Bob. I'm worried it might have a Spurrier at USCe feel, where he does some good things but doesn't quite get us where we really want to be (obviously that's not a perfect example because Spurrier took USCe to places it had never been). But the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that going out and hiring a name like Stoops would be the first time in my lifetime where we went out and hired a freaking proven stud. Obviously there is no way to know if he wants to stay retired or not, but his boys have graduated so maybe. Have to at least pitch him and pitch him hard.

Obviously there are other guys who might be homeruns, but I don't see any of them leaving their current situations. Maybe Franklin at PSU but I doubt it.

Big Names Currently: These are guys that get tied to every big job that comes open. The problem is the Kevin Sumlin effect. Sometimes winning at a smaller program just doesn't have the same needs that winning at a bigger program has and it just doesn't always work out.

Jeff Brohm - he's an up and comer with a great pedigree. He has a great offensive mind, and to me his offense is kind of a blend between pro-style and spread. He's been my number one for a while.

Mike Norvell - KING WIGGER as @Fatz Geronimo calls him. Good mind, probably wins the quickest here because the talent fits his system.

Matt Campbell - Iowa State people. If you can win there, it's hard to imagine not being able to win anywhere.

Lane Trane - I probably like this hire mostly because of how many boogs will hate it. The chances of it ending terribly are so high, but the thought of him beating Saban literally makes me hard.

Cristobal - Probably similar to Kirby. Going to be a relentless recruiter, CEO type guy. Wouldn't hate it.

Gut Feeling Success:

Bill Clark - gang I just think he might be a Nick Saban type. It's more than the success at UAB, it's the way people who have worked for him talk about him. Just a relentless fiery guy, who's incredibly organized and won't be out-worked.

Joe Whitt Jr - Lets hire a black guy with a ton of NFL experience. That's good enough for me.

Bottom line - Gus has ruined Auburn football for me and I'm ready for someone or something different.

Does Bob Stoops even do TV or anything? This will be his second year out of the game completely. No broadcasting no nothing. As much as I’d love to have him, I think he’s fully committed to retirement

Reactions: Boytano
I think I have the largest acceptable list I have ever had.

Homerun Hire:

Bob Stoops - honestly my initial reaction was that I didn't want Bob. I'm worried it might have a Spurrier at USCe feel, where he does some good things but doesn't quite get us where we really want to be (obviously that's not a perfect example because Spurrier took USCe to places it had never been). But the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that going out and hiring a name like Stoops would be the first time in my lifetime where we went out and hired a freaking proven stud. Obviously there is no way to know if he wants to stay retired or not, but his boys have graduated so maybe. Have to at least pitch him and pitch him hard.

Obviously there are other guys who might be homeruns, but I don't see any of them leaving their current situations. Maybe Franklin at PSU but I doubt it.

Big Names Currently: These are guys that get tied to every big job that comes open. The problem is the Kevin Sumlin effect. Sometimes winning at a smaller program just doesn't have the same needs that winning at a bigger program has and it just doesn't always work out.

Jeff Brohm - he's an up and comer with a great pedigree. He has a great offensive mind, and to me his offense is kind of a blend between pro-style and spread. He's been my number one for a while.

Mike Norvell - KING WIGGER as @Fatz Geronimo calls him. Good mind, probably wins the quickest here because the talent fits his system.

Matt Campbell - Iowa State people. If you can win there, it's hard to imagine not being able to win anywhere.

Lane Trane - I probably like this hire mostly because of how many boogs will hate it. The chances of it ending terribly are so high, but the thought of him beating Saban literally makes me hard.

Cristobal - Probably similar to Kirby. Going to be a relentless recruiter, CEO type guy. Wouldn't hate it.

Gut Feeling Success:

Bill Clark - gang I just think he might be a Nick Saban type. It's more than the success at UAB, it's the way people who have worked for him talk about him. Just a relentless fiery guy, who's incredibly organized and won't be out-worked.

Joe Whitt Jr - Lets hire a black guy with a ton of NFL experience. That's good enough for me.

Bottom line - Gus has ruined Auburn football for me and I'm ready for someone or something different.
Very solid list except Lane and Whitt, but I’d definitely take both over our current situation

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
Does Bob Stoops even do TV or anything? This will be his second year out of the game completely. No broadcasting no nothing. As much as I’d love to have him, I think he’s fully committed to retirement
Bob is so done with coaching. His hobby is his bar In his house and he will occasionally go to Oklahoma games and practices to check on Riley. He’s mailed it in.

Yeah there’s not a getable coach in the SEC that I would have right now. Too bad we blew our shot to get Danger Dan last year

I mean, he would have been an improvement for sure, but I think the missed opportunity last year was Jimbosaurus... I think he’d have picked AU over aTm but maybe that would have been stupidity on his part

BrAUhm has my attention...
I’m out on any Stoops...
Aranda and Mel Tucker are worth further investigation...
I could be sold on Cristobal but I worry about him as THE guy...

it all comes back to looking way way way down the line... we’ve got to get out of the 2 steps forward - 2 steps back mode... this hire doesn’t have to be the one who gets us to the promised land - he just has to lay a solid foundation program wide - that’s on the field, player development, facilities, fund raising, getting everyone on the same page and pointed the right direction... if it turns out to be a guy who can sustain a 10-12 year run, then even better... but if it’s an older guy who never wins a title, but stabilizes things enough for T-Will to take over in 5/6/7 years, then that’s a win too

if a coordinator from legit programs, with experience under true program builders, is available and has the right vision, then sign him up... but we can’t chase a young, exciting, unknown commodity and end up right back here in 4 years... that’s a death sentence

ADVERTISEMENT