ADVERTISEMENT

Football Roundtable: 1-A comments

jmufan

Nov 20, 2011
Not surprised that the JMU commentators are pro-FCS, seems to be what those in power are in favor as well. A shame really,
because the potential is there to be great, greater than what we are now. I never understood the small time talk, if you do not aspire to be more than what you are, how will you ever grow? Lastly, fans expect the
team to play in a bigger division, you can say what may, but that is fact and when the fan base sees no action from the admin, guess what, fan support starts to dwindle. Take this for instance. Last year, JMU had 3,240 Duke Club members and granted it was the grand opening of the expanded stadium, however, this year the DC dwindled down to 2,386 (to date, I hope I can eat crow, and that they find a way in the next couple of months to get the number up to where they were before) members? Why the big drop? Could it be the comments that were made by the administration during the last couple of months of the Rose administration? Could it be that fans were hoping that they were going to move with ODU and then all of a sudden, JMU states that they are happy and content in the CAA when their rival moved on? The JMU administration is at fault for such a large drop in Duke Club membership. If and when it recovers remains to be seen.

On Shickman's comment, he does raise a good point in that the BCS could eventually break off and that the lower end 1-A is becoming the new 1-AA and on down the line. It would be a shame if JMU got stuck in a third tier division 1. That is something I think most people would not be happy about. The playoffs are exciting and I could honestly see the top 1-A becoming selfish in trying to keep the playoffs to themselves. On the bowl system, if it was so bad, then why has it lasted for a century?

This post was edited on 8/31 3:54 PM by jmufan

If JMU goes I-A, what is, for you, the best-case scenario? I'm not anti I-A. I just don't know where JMU could go right now that would be a better situation than the CAA. I-A isn't inherently better than I-AA just because it's I-A.

I'd rather see the Dukes remain a great 1-AA program. They've got a good thing going, and bigger isn't necessarily better.

I would love to see JMU in the same conference as ECU, Marshall, AppSt, and ODU, that for me is CUSA. But I also like the MAC if UD came along. I can certainly understand why people like the 1-AA, it does have a really nice appeal to it, especially if you are always in contention for a championship.

ADVERTISEMENT