ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Could gus calzone get a power 5 job next season if auburn fired him today?

Jim E Russell

Feb 15, 2018
I can't see how any program would look at the product he's put on the field and say "that's our guy!"

I'm not even sure that arkansas would hire his goofy ass now even if they were looking.

There are some pretty meh P5 jobs out there. He could possibly land one of them. But if I had to bet, I’m thinking more along the lines of a FIU, Memphis, La Tech kind of place.

He could easily land some crappy acc or big 12 job for sure. From the lens of an AU fan, he sucks. But from the lens of some outsiders, he’s not that bad

Reactions: AshleySchaeffer
There are some pretty meh P5 jobs out there. He could possibly land one of them. But if I had to bet, I’m thinking more along the lines of a FIU, Memphis, La Tech kind of place.

That latter is what he needs to do to enjoy the remainder of his career

Reactions: L I G E R
I can't see how any program would look at the product he's put on the field and say "that's our guy!"

I'm not even sure that arkansas would hire his goofy ass now even if they were looking.
screw you pal...(i now think this epersona is Gus' wife Miss KimI or whatever you assumed name is)

He’d get a decent job after a year off, but primarily because Jimmy Sexton his agent.

He could easily land some crappy acc or big 12 job for sure. From the lens of an AU fan, he sucks. But from the lens of some outsiders, he’s not that bad

Some down on their luck Big12 or ACC school would look at his resume and see some of the offensive numbers and conclude they could do a lot worse. This all depending on how this season goes at AU at least. He wouldn't want to see a team go 7-5 and lose all 5 games because the offense got completely shutout. That would be damaging. Losing games 35-27 or 42-38 wouldn't really hurt his reputation in some circles as a good offensive mind.

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
No doubt he could. Most athletic directors know more about football than most fans. They have enough sense to realize the hill he has to climb in recruiting with UA and GA just to name a few. They also realize he has to deal with one of the toughest schedules in the country. They also know when its clicking, his offense is awesome to watch and will win a lot of games, especially if he was outside the goliath of the SEC.

I think it’s pretty well known at this point the guy is a fuggin idiot and a shitty football corch. Doubt any ADs are just gonna pull his wiki page and think oh look this guy coached Cam let’s give him a shot. Would undoubtedly suck in an interview. Any P5 is a low bar but I can’t think of many that would consider him.

Some down on their luck Big12 or ACC school would look at his resume and see some of the offensive numbers and conclude they could do a lot worse. This all depending on how this season goes at AU at least. He wouldn't want to see a team go 7-5 and lose all 5 games because the offense got completely shutout. That would be damaging. Losing games 35-27 or 42-38 wouldn't really hurt his reputation in some circles as a good offensive mind.
My biggest fear is the defense wins 8 games and we're stuck with him another year. That will also depend on having zero injuries on the OL. What I've gathered from spring camp is no ones good enough to start at C, much less back it up. Backup at OT could possibly be a nightmare.

No doubt he could. Most athletic directors know more about football than most fans. They have enough sense to realize the hill he has to climb in recruiting with UA and GA just to name a few. They also realize he has to deal with one of the toughest schedules in the country. They also know when its clicking, his offense is awesome to watch and will win a lot of games, especially if he was outside the goliath of the SEC.

You will not find many people in coaching that think he is a good coach. He gets a lot of respect for his 2 back run game schemes and that's about it. Some people love his "run power to the right, counter to the left" stuff, but if you aren't truly running pace it is a disadvantage because teams are ready for it. His passing game is consistently criticized as is his ability to work with others. He doesn't get a lot of credit for player development, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Probably the most consistent thing I hear is people pointing out that others have taken his offense and improved it.

My biggest fear is the defense wins 8 games and we're stuck with him another year. That will also depend on having zero injuries on the OL. What I've gathered from spring camp is no ones good enough to start at C, much less back it up. Backup at OT could possibly be a nightmare.
The D been carrying this program to the level of mediocrity we’ve enjoyed the last 4 seasons. The guy is basically Terry Bowden with less personality and football acumen.

The D been carrying this program to the level of mediocrity we’ve enjoyed the last 4 seasons. The guy is basically Terry Bowden with less personality and football acumen.
tenor.gif

at this point I almost want him to do just enough to keep his job and have the wheels fall completely off next year... a new coach shouldn’t have to come in and deal with next years offensive line, even if it does put us 2 years behind in our rebuild

we’re not winning shit anytime soon anyway, so I can deal with another 2 years of misery as long as I’m guaranteed that miserable fvcktard has to eat the full pot of shit he’s been slowly brewing for years

Nostradamus.

I have a feeling that ruining Bo Nix' career could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Doubtful that anybody is going to stand back and let him do that, but then again, they gave him an extension before the season was over a few years ago.

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
I stand by it... too bad covid will put us another 1-2 years behind schedule but my give-a-fūck was broken beyond repair long ago... Gus doesn’t deserve to win 7/8 games and get let go or fired softly - he’s earned a flaming dumpster fire ending that will ensure he never gets another job... he’s got the money to survive now

Absolutely fvcking fleeced auburn.

tenor.png

it cracks me up that so many people say stuff like - Gus isn’t motivated by money, he’s just an ordinary guy at heart who just wants to coach football... yet the first, and only, time he had a single ounce of leverage he immediately raped every butter toothed and lucky sperm Boog in sight

and don’t even try to pin it on Sexton... he doesn’t go for the kill without Gus’ blessing

Well I don't even blame Gus for getting every dime out of Auburn that he could. I blame Auburn for allowing such a shitty deal to happen because of 2 games. They completely forgot about the ineptitude that led up to that and threw the bank at him. He's been inconsistent and worthless ever since.

Well I don't even blame Gus for getting every dime out of Auburn that he could. I blame Auburn for allowing such a shitty deal to happen because of 2 games. They completely forgot about the ineptitude that led up to that and threw the bank at him. He's been inconsistent and worthless ever since.

I started a long rambling diatribe about 2017, but realized it is a waste of time. Fvck Gus.

I watched the JR breakdown yesterday. Really funny to hear that coming from a pretty smart guy. Not to take anything away from a Vandy Grad, but shouldn’t most every coach in the world know that what he’s saying matters? And adjustments made? From the 4-46 HS coaches on TBB all the way to Bill Belichick?

Just blows my mind that we have to hope a guy making 7 Million a year to be an offensive guru for AU spends 10 minutes watching a SEC Network video and figures some simple things out.

I watched the JR breakdown yesterday. Really funny to hear that coming from a pretty smart guy. Not to take anything away from a Vandy Grad, but shouldn’t most every coach in the world know that what he’s saying matters? And adjustments made? From the 4-46 HS coaches on TBB all the way to Bill Belichick?

Just blows my mind that we have to hope a guy making 7 Million a year to be an offensive guru for AU spends 10 minutes watching a SEC Network video and figures some simple things out.

I’m really not sure Gus understands these detailed complexities of offensive football. He’s never coached or played at a level or been surrounded by people with the experience or knowledge of a level of sophisticated offensive football. And I don’t think he gets that he can’t make every decision from his vantage point correctly. He’s still operating under the principle of plugging in all the variables he’s gathered into his calculator brain and letting it spit out a decision that is sure to work if executed properly. But he has no way to account for opponent variation, and it constantly kills him.

It’s so bad everything about that one play shouldn’t happen if you’ve coached a season of middle school ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT