ADVERTISEMENT

+++++ Vandy vs Boogs (HYGs) Official Game Thread +++++

Woo boy. That was way too fvcking nerve-racking for a game we led by 14 with 8 mins to play.

BCA3-B000-6-EFB-4-F7-F-B7-E4-A876-FC3-B9742.png

Whatever. Undefeated still. Samir better up his game again if this team is gonna go FULL BOOG like we want it to

Reactions: DM8
So Mac was dominant in the first half and then did absolutely nothing in the second half??? kind of wondering what happened there other than him having 3 fouls

So Mac was dominant in the first half and then did absolutely nothing in the second half??? kind of wondering what happened there other than him having 3 fouls
Didn’t see him out there a whole lot. Seemed like Austin was such a mismatch we didn’t want to take him off the floor

Didn’t see him out there a whole lot. Seemed like Austin was such a mismatch we didn’t want to take him off the floor
Yeah. Austin is rebounding nightmare, but still. Mac was on a heater. Just surprised he got so few minutes in the second half

Agree with Bruce. It's just so weird seeing the "best" boog shooters get good open looks from 3 and just brick them hard. Obviously missing Jared nad Bryce is gonna hurt, but I wonder how much that moved back 3 line is affecting Danjel and Samir. We gotta have them shooting at least upper 30s from distance late in the season for this squad to go far

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
Love Jvon so much. Knows exactly when a FT matters and doesn’t matter. Best 45% FT shooter in the game.

he wanted the ball... he was calling for it and just held it waiting for the foul instead of trying to dribble out more time or get it to someone else

knocked down the 2 that mattered - demanded the ball - hit 1 to clinch it and then was smiling as he missed the meaningless one

I shed a tear

I mean that game was fuggin trash, but we did get a top 5 (maybe) dunk in Boog hoops history imo. I think some famous golfer said that as long as you hit one shot exactly how you intended in round, then it was a success. Then yeah, going back that metric, then we won and had a crazy ass dunk so I'm staying positive here

Someone has to get these students louder. Someone does. They don’t deserve Bruce.

Feels like they are waiting for us to drain 3 from deep in 4 trips down the court and that's just not who this team is. Bryce 3's were the spark that ignited the fires at home last season and the season before. Gonna have to adjust and get loud for this group for defensive stops and Austin drawing fouls that put the opponent in trouble. It's such a different team that I feel like the general fan hasn't adjusted yet and keep thinking we're just gonna start draining 30 footers off the fast break soon.

Feels like they are waiting for us to drain 3 from deep in 4 trips down the court and that's just not who this team is. Bryce 3's were the spark that ignited the fires at home last season and the season before. Gonna have to adjust and get loud for this group for defensive stops and Austin drawing fouls that put the opponent in trouble. It's such a different team that I feel like the general fan hasn't adjusted yet and keep thinking we're just gonna start draining 30 footers off the fast break soon.

I just don't understand how it's not a party everytime the boogs are in the clam. You have Bruce fuggin Pearl as your coach... your team has lost 1 game since Feb 24, 2019. It should be nuts. These turkeys get louder for an perennial 8-5 football team than the greatest AUMBB run in history...

Appalling. Bruce and the boys deserve better. Attendance and hype are there... but someone in the AD has to start getting the word out to be obnoxious the entire game.

I have low expectations for our fan base, so I was just thrilled to see The Clam packed on a Wednesday night game that didn't tip off until 8:00 PM. The criticisms of the crowd are 100% accurate, I just think we have to be happy for the baby steps. That being said, we don't deserve Bruce.

I have low expectations for our fan base, so I was just thrilled to see The Clam packed on a Wednesday night game that didn't tip off until 8:00 PM. The criticisms of the crowd are 100% accurate, I just think we have to be happy for the baby steps. That being said, we don't deserve Bruce.

saw a bunch of hoes saying this excitement is new and that they don't understand how to be basketball fans.

I wanted to reply, "Doesn't matter if you understand the game... just be loud on defense"

The attendance is very encouraging... now we have to get everyone in there... like advertise to the hoes on campus that you get your cardio in jumping up and down and yelling the whole game... boom, girls in yoga pants all over the clam.

They are still learning how to be basketball fans. We are far advanced in that regard.

IT'S BEEN 5 YEARS.

You don't have to learn how to be a basketball fans. Just go to the game. Cheer when we do something awesome. Taunt the opposing team with fun cheers and make as much noise as possible when we are on defense... it's not hard

I mean that game was fuggin trash, but we did get a top 5 (maybe) dunk in Boog hoops history imo. I think some famous golfer said that as long as you hit one shot exactly how you intended in round, then it was a success. Then yeah, going back that metric, then we won and had a crazy ass dunk so I'm staying positive here

wasn’t sure what to think immediately after it ended - still not sure if they’re just THAT good on offense (and THAT bad on defense) or if the HYG bigs are getting exposed on ball screens and our help defense/scrambling just isn’t there yet

Austin has actually defended them decently because he’s just so effing big and he works hard to stay low, but Mac has been bad bad bad outside the paint this year... he trails everything and just isn’t explosive enough to block and contest shots moving away from him so he’s giving up layups or fouls

(*I miss you, Ho Daddy*)

I trust we’ll figure that out - the pieces are there for us to adjust and we’ve got options... we’ll fix it before March

the positive was, the HYG’s are figuring out their identity this year is to murder you at the rim... it’s a different version of Boogin’, but college defenses aren’t equipped to handle it for 40 minutes against this type of talent... Sir Isaac didn’t even realize he was fouled on the dunk because he’s such a specimen - I’ve never seen bodies bounce off a 6’6” guy like that before (and believe me, I’ve spent A LOT of time watching internet documentaries trying to find one)

and Sweet, Gentle Danjel... not the dunk - because it made me lol the way he cocked back like he was about the hammer it and still barely got it over the rim - but defensively... his block late was huge... a tad lucky because he jumped first and was able to block it while big boy was going up with it... but it forced big boy to rush the putback he gagged with 30 seconds left

good win regardless of opponent - and more building blocks... BRUCE just continues to diagnose and fix flaws, and these HYG’s keep taking baby steps

question for those of you that have an advanced knowledge of the game...

lots of times when people are driving on our bigs they just blow right by them... specifically Mac... and there isn't much effort to make a play on the ball. Is that just because he is trying to block it from behind? Stay out of foul trouble? Or just not as quick as he was?

question for those of you that have an advanced knowledge of the game...

lots of times when people are driving on our bigs they just blow right by them... specifically Mac... and there isn't much effort to make a play on the ball. Is that just because he is trying to block it from behind? Stay out of foul trouble? Or just not as quick as he was?

I had a longer message about that typed out above and deleted because the post was getting too long already

I don’t know what’s going on - it could be any or all of the things you mentioned... to me, with absolutely no knowledge of the coverage and how he’s being coached to play it - he’s playing for a trail block and just not quite explosive enough to play it that way

I’d love to see him hedge hard early and trust that we can recover and scramble well enough, but that requires a LOT of communication and with so many young guys and guys in new roles, we may just not be there yet

we don’t have to full out switch and expose Mac to a quicker guard or JVon/Samir to a big in the post - watch how Austin plays them... he steps out, forces the ball handler to stop or move away from the basket, and even if they switch he’s so effing big and gets low (for him) that he pushes the guy towards more help and then we switch AGAIN and end up with Isaac or another wing back on the ball handler... that’s what I’m talking about when I say scramble mode - we’re switching on and off ball, all over the court, multiple times after the initial switch, and we’re athletic enough to do it, but all 5 guys have to communicate constantly which is the hard part for inexperienced guys

we’ll be much better a month from now, 6 weeks from now... but for now, it’s definitely a weakness that can be exploited

ADVERTISEMENT