ADVERTISEMENT

HYGs 2019-2020 season preview/ predictions

Denim Vest

Feb 9, 2011
Gents the time is now. Offseason is in the books. We have some stats, snippets and comments from Bruce on the exhibitions. Let’s talk lineups and predictions for the upcoming season.

lineups/ rotations: We knew the 5 Srs + Okoro are locked in. The other 3-4 rotational players has been a bit of a mystery. I guess Samir slid over to the 1 last night before Turbo got in but he’s still one that’s gonna be in the reg rotation.

Next as a bit of a surprise appears to be Devan Cambridge. Been out for a few weeks but balled harder than any other newcomer. He’s locked in.

Still see Jamal Johnson as a def part of the rotation at least to start the season. That gets us to 9 and that may be it. Would expect another big to be available so either Stretch or Jaylin. Maybe both.

Based on some of Bruce’s comments about Ant at the 4 I’m expecting that to mostly go away. What makes him great at the 5 doesn’t separate him at the 4. Enter Isaac at the backup 4 with Devan being a revelation at the 3 to pickup some of those mins.

So mins distribution.

1. JVon 30, Samir 5, Turbo 5
2. Samir 20, Johnson 13, Turbo 7
3. Okoro 20, Cambridge 15, Samir 5
4. Danjel 27, Okoro 10, Ant 3
5. Austin 20, Ant 17, Stretch 3

Ok novel is over briefly onto the predictions. Don’t play anyone as good as us in the OOC. Toughest look like Davidson and potentially Wisconsin at neutral sites. NC St and Iowa St at home. Got some other sneaky decent mid majors on the schedule. I see 11-2 there. 11-7 in the SEC Seems fair so 22-9 right on the Vegas line. Right in position for a top 4 seed and peaking for another deep tourney run.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the Mac at the 4 thing being anything other than Bruce maybe appeasing Mac to help his pro chances and also just covering his bases in case Okoro or Jaylin williams aren't ready to immediately step into the back up role

I agree that Okoro is definitely going to eventually slide into that back up 4 spot. But we may have to suffer a few games of Mac playing there before it actually happens.

Before last night and that bruce presser, I was thinking that we'd see samir more sliding into his role last season to spell Isaac. But it sounds like he's more likely to be the back up PG cuz young Turbo is having trouble adjusting to being a college PG.

Anyways, last year was more of a let's get boogin with some crazy streaking threes, but this year could see bring the house down more with a lot of thunderous slamming ooops. Either way, boogs gonna play some exciting hoops

Yeah, I'm not seeing the Mac at the 4 thing being anything other than Bruce maybe appeasing Mac to help his pro chances and also just covering his bases in case Okoro or Jaylin williams aren't ready to immediately step into the back up role

I agree that Okoro is definitely going to eventually slide into that back up 4 spot. But we may have to suffer a few games of Mac playing there before it actually happens.

Before last night and that bruce presser, I was thinking that we'd see samir more sliding into his role last season to spell Isaac. But it sounds like he's more likely to be the back up PG cuz young Turbo is having trouble adjusting to being a college PG.

Anyways, last year was more of a let's get boogin with some crazy streaking threes, but this year could see bring the house down more with a lot of thunderous slamming ooops. Either way, boogs gonna play some exciting hoops

Yeah and I could def still see Flanigan picking up some mins at 3 instead of Samir. Prob be better then can really mix in Isaac at 4. Him and Jaylin more than capable of giving good mins but we just have so many studs. Such is life with Bruce at the helm.

Reactions: Boytano
Gents the time is now. Offseason is in the books. We have some stats, snippets and comments from Bruce on the exhibitions. Let’s talk lineups and predictions for the upcoming season.

lineups/ rotations: We knew the 5 Srs + Okoro are locked in. The other 3-4 rotational players has been a bit of a mystery. I guess Samir slid over to the 1 last night before Turbo got in but he’s still one that’s gonna be in the reg rotation.

Next as a bit of a surprise appears to be Devan Cambridge. Been out for a few weeks but balled harder than any other newcomer. He’s locked in.

Still see Jamal Johnson as a def part of the rotation at least to start the season. That gets us to 9 and that may be it. Would expect another big to be available so either Stretch or Jaylin. Maybe both.

Based on some of Bruce’s comments about Ant at the 4 I’m expecting that to mostly go away. What makes him great at the 5 doesn’t separate him at the 4. Enter Isaac at the backup 4 with Devan being a revelation at the 3 to pickup some of those mins.

So mins distribution.

1. JVon 30, Samir 5, Turbo 5
2. Samir 20, Johnson 13, Turbo 7
3. Okoro 20, Cambridge 15, Samir 5
4. Danjel 27, Okoro 10, Ant 3
5. Austin 20, Ant 17, Stretch 3

Ok novel is over briefly onto the predictions. Don’t play anyone as good as us in the OOC. Toughest look like Davidson and potentially Wisconsin at neutral sites. NC St and Iowa St at home. Got some other sneaky decent mid majors on the schedule. I see 11-2 there. 11-7 in the SEC Seems fair so 22-9 right on the Vegas line. Right in position for a top 4 seed and peaking for another deep tourney run.

Spot on here. Having this much quality depth will really allow us to play ultra hard aggressive defense, which will benefit once everyone gets their game legs under them. I see a lot of fun and thunder dunks taking the place of the run and three we saw last year. I was very pleased to see that J’Von and Danjel already have it dialed in from deep. I won’t sleep till Wednesday.

I think our March rotations will be vastly different than our November rotations... it’s so refreshing to have complete confidence in the fact that your coach will actually develop players and modify strategy and add/subtract schemes and calls over the course of the season because he has the understanding of how important it is and also the competency to pull it off

the rotation from the exhibition makes sense and I’m with you on almost all of this

J’Von - Samir - Tyrell
Samir - Jamal
Okoro - Cambridge
Danjel
Austin - Mac - Stretch

that leaves Flanigan and Jaylin as the wildcards... how do those backup wing minutes shake out and who gets the backup minutes at the 4?

I definitely whiffed on my Flanigan/Jamal prediction... I thought a Flanigan was still more advanced physically, even being 2 years younger... I wasn’t sold on Jamal at this level - but how dare I doubt the benefits of a year in the dungeon with Steven? still a little bit of a hitch on that J, but it’s not as pronounced as it was at Memphis - and if he shoots it from far enough out and gets enough elevation before his release he won’t have many problems... he should be a solid first wing off the bench

I’m going to assume Tyrell’s minutes increase over the season the way J’Von’s did last year... I think the injury over the summer slowed his development so he’s just not quite there yet running the team - it’s hard to be a leader of these HYG’s, that’s a lot to ask, and he’s got the talent to do it but I’m sure his head is still spinning... I’m not worried about that, he’ll be fine by February but until then we’re blessed with a healthy, improved Samir to carry that load

so... backcourt is just an abundance of blessings

and we already know about the frontcourt... 3 absolute specimen - who wants to be the 4th? Okoro sliding down? Jaylin gonna be so smooth and solid all around he earns those minutes? or is Stretch just too good to keep off the court and we slide Mac up?

the answer is - it doesn’t even matter, because there’s not a 4th or 5th big off the bench anywhere on our schedule that deserves to share a court with any of the 3

tl:dr version - praise be unto BRUCE

record wise, I don’t even care... I’m seeing 19-12 as the floor, all the way up to 26-5... 22-9, 23-8 seems most likely to me, but whatever the record is, we’re going to be peaking in March, hoping for a favorable bracket setup, and a run to Atlanta... how we actually get to March doesn’t mean a thing so just trust in BRUCE and let other people weep and wail and gnash their teeth worrying about wins and losses

ADVERTISEMENT