ADVERTISEMENT

*** Boogs vs Vandy ***

But he wasn’t forcing bad shots, so I don’t feel like he had a bad night.
I'm a huge flanny defender, but 6 turnovers and 4 fouls makes for a rough line with only 2 points. I think we saw last time out that he's capable of playing really well again now, but it may take the next two weeks to get him back into anything that resembles consistency. The great news is we don't need him to be the same 15+ ppg guy he used to be to be great. The only thing we truly need from his is to be an elite wing defender that we can put on other team's best offensive player for stretches. If he can also be capable of attacking the basket at times to score or get to the line when the offense is sputtering, that's huge too.

Eh, can't say much on that, but we need the guy who hit him to have fully operational kidneys as he's a key piece to our championship puzzle.
The internet told me it was Wendell and if so I forgive him. I forgive any HYG in our rotation regardless but no matter Al still got a few weeks to get right. He was admittedly very sloppy tonight but he looked good last game so ima still ride for the young hunk.

@Fatz Geronimo - give us your thoughts on Flanny. I know those turnovers last night were bad. I don't see him not taking many shots as a big deal, especially last night when Jabari and Walker were tearing it up. Guys on the AIDZ board were saying he is a cancer and lazy, etc... I just don't see it. I feel like he has played pretty good defense. Would like to see him grab a few more boards a game, but just don't see him as this negative impact that they do. Am I blinded by his dashing good looks, or are these guys complete morons?

I didn't go to game. Got home late. Just caught up. Went to the other board first. Good grief it's horrible. Even if they had a basketball only board it would still suck during a game.

Also, Bari started his get on my back the rest of the way style in the first half. It never needs to change going forward.
Reminded me of when Chuma finally started to take over. It was beautiful to see. A game like that re-establishes the offense needs to go through him most of the time. That will help reduce some of the ridiculous shots KD and Wen sometimes take. He has set the tone.

Reactions: Boytano
@Fatz Geronimo - give us your thoughts on Flanny. I know those turnovers last night were bad. I don't see him not taking many shots as a big deal, especially last night when Jabari and Walker were tearing it up. Guys on the AIDZ board were saying he is a cancer and lazy, etc... I just don't see it. I feel like he has played pretty good defense. Would like to see him grab a few more boards a game, but just don't see him as this negative impact that they do. Am I blinded by his dashing good looks, or are these guys complete morons?

idk - it’s tough… most people probably don’t wanna read all this but I ended up going way deeper than I intended so I’m just gonna spoiler my long winded ass

I think a lot of the hate he gets is because if he was playing like a first rounder - like his ceiling and as an ideal fit with this roster - we would cakewalk to a title… if he was a guaranteed 13/6/3 with ability to switch 1-4 and shoot 36%+ from 3, just cancel the season and give us the trophy

so people want that so badly they irrationally hate him because he’s not there yet - for reasons completely out of his control

I’ve never been worried about him - I knew it would be ugly dropping him into the middle of things when he had literally played ZERO minutes with our 5? best players, depending on where you rank Jaylin… it was always going to be far, far more difficult than people wanted to believe

so I never cared that he wasn’t playing great in January, only that he showed flashes - and he did… so I don’t care if it was ugly X% of them time

same with February - I’ve seen him slalom through multiple defenders in the lane, I’ve seen him catch & shoot with confidence, I’ve seen him run 2 man game with Walker/Jabari and 3 man game with both

so that’s the good… the bad is, there has been 0 consistency - there’s been nothing linear about his performance, which is scary because we’re edging close to the danger zone… he still has time to get to that point, but it’s running out

all I’m looking for from him the next 3 games is - you don’t have to play great, you just have to show that something about your game is reliable and ready to build upon… it can be easy shit… catch the ball and be decisive without getting yourself in trouble - either drive it, kick it, or shoot it, I legitimately do not give a shit what you do with it as long as you’re not putting yourself or the ball in a dangerous spot

that’s it - that’s all I need to see… can he do that for 3 straight games? because if he can, now it’s just baby steps to get him to a spot where he’s either knocking down shots consistently or attacking the basket against moving defenses… getting him from ok to game changer is a small leap - it can happen very quickly… the hope would be that you’re already at “ok” by now, and then you’re just waiting for the switch to flip sometime in the next 3 weeks

but we’re not at “ok” yet, and last night was the first night all season that I started to get a little worried… because we’re late enough into February that now the clock is ticking

idk - it’s tough… most people probably don’t wanna read all this but I ended up going way deeper than I intended so I’m just gonna spoiler my long winded ass

I think a lot of the hate he gets is because if he was playing like a first rounder - like his ceiling and as an ideal fit with this roster - we would cakewalk to a title… if he was a guaranteed 13/6/3 with ability to switch 1-4 and shoot 36%+ from 3, just cancel the season and give us the trophy

so people want that so badly they irrationally hate him because he’s not there yet - for reasons completely out of his control

I’ve never been worried about him - I knew it would be ugly dropping him into the middle of things when he had literally played ZERO minutes with our 5? best players, depending on where you rank Jaylin… it was always going to be far, far more difficult than people wanted to believe

so I never cared that he wasn’t playing great in January, only that he showed flashes - and he did… so I don’t care if it was ugly X% of them time

same with February - I’ve seen him slalom through multiple defenders in the lane, I’ve seen him catch & shoot with confidence, I’ve seen him run 2 man game with Walker/Jabari and 3 man game with both

so that’s the good… the bad is, there has been 0 consistency - there’s been nothing linear about his performance, which is scary because we’re edging close to the danger zone… he still has time to get to that point, but it’s running out

all I’m looking for from him the next 3 games is - you don’t have to play great, you just have to show that something about your game is reliable and ready to build upon… it can be easy shit… catch the ball and be decisive without getting yourself in trouble - either drive it, kick it, or shoot it, I legitimately do not give a shit what you do with it as long as you’re not putting yourself or the ball in a dangerous spot

that’s it - that’s all I need to see… can he do that for 3 straight games? because if he can, now it’s just baby steps to get him to a spot where he’s either knocking down shots consistently or attacking the basket against moving defenses… getting him from ok to game changer is a small leap - it can happen very quickly… the hope would be that you’re already at “ok” by now, and then you’re just waiting for the switch to flip sometime in the next 3 weeks

but we’re not at “ok” yet, and last night was the first night all season that I started to get a little worried… because we’re late enough into February that now the clock is ticking
Really enjoyed that & I guess like I’m everyone else, in that anytime he does a couple of positive things back to back, I think the light is coming on. I’m gonna still keep expecting it to happen until it never does I suppose.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT