ADVERTISEMENT

*** Boogs vs Vandy ***

Denim Vest

Feb 9, 2011
Another celebration of hoops inside the Clam Wednesday. The dub and the cover is a formality but always anxious to see what improvements our boogs can make as we build towards a title run. See what our PGs can do against Scottie Jr.

Pulled some #s but we are shooting an alarming 28% 3 in SEC play. Some dorks are asking if this squad has what it takes to shoot at an elite level. Evidence suggest we can and then some based on the HYGs historical shooting stats:

Jabari been 40%+ all year until last few games
KD 39% last year
Wen 36% last year
Zep 37% in 3 seasons at COC
Al/ Jaylin 34% last year
Devan 34% as a FR

No reason all these guys can’t shoot it somewhere around that clip and if they did gatdamn we’d be unstoppable.

Another celebration of hoops inside the Clam Wednesday. The dub and the cover is a formality but always anxious to see what improvements our boogs can make as we build towards a title run. See what our PGs can do against Scottie Jr.

Pulled some #s but we are shooting an alarming 28% 3 in SEC play. Some dorks are asking if this squad has what it takes to shoot at an elite level. Evidence suggest we can and then some based on the HYGs historical shooting stats:

KD 39% last year
Wen 36% last year
Al/ Jaylin 34% last year
Devan 34% as a FR

No reason all these guys can’t shoot it somewhere around that clip and if they did gatdamn we’d be unstoppable.
Good points. Amazing that we're ranked number 2 with only 2 losses on the season right now despite shooting poorly from deep the last month+. I think Devan probably needs to stop taking so many contested 3s, but everyone else seems to be mostly missing good looks. Surely most/all of our guys will start to revert back towards their career averages by March. Thankfully, unlike prior years, we can win without shooting 3s competently, but it would turn close games into blowouts if we could get back into the 35% range.

KD 39% last year
Wen 36% last year
Al/ Jaylin 34% last year
Devan 34% as a FR

let's not forget Dylan shot 100% beyond the arc last year

Hopefully a raucous party in the clam celebrating a 2 game lead in the regular season title race.

I think part of the equation for an increase in 3 point percentage is just taking better shots. Sure, we are missing some open looks too, but Wen especially and KD to an extent are taking too many contested deep 3's. I don't mind Wen shooting logo 3's, but I don't like the deep 3's when he is stepping back. Thats an incredibly tough shot. Most of Jared's deeper 3's, he stepped into them, which I think allows you to hit them at a higher rate.

Hopefully a raucous party in the clam celebrating a 2 game lead in the regular season title race.

I think part of the equation for an increase in 3 point percentage is just taking better shots. Sure, we are missing some open looks too, but Wen especially and KD to an extent are taking too many contested deep 3's. I don't mind Wen shooting logo 3's, but I don't like the deep 3's when he is stepping back. Thats an incredibly tough shot. Most of Jared's deeper 3's, he stepped into them, which I think allows you to hit them at a higher rate.
Devan has been taking a lot of contested 3s as well. His shooting motion is slow which is allowing defenders to close out on him and have a hand in his face before he gets the shot off. It would be nice if there was a way to tell him to chill in the corner and only take the shot if there's no one on his side of the lane when he catches it. Better yet, don't worry about shooting 3s and instead get to the corner at the start of possession to be ready to make a baseline run for an alley-oop and then get ready to fight for an offensive board. He is incredibly valuable when he's doing those two things instead of missing 3s. 24% on 69 3PA on the year is not cutting it. He only shot 28% last year so this isn't just a shooting slump.

• Love
Reactions: ShenaniganZ
Praise Bruce and these HYGs.

latley there’s been a lot of hesitation when shooting the 3 ball. AF is bad at this but last couple of games I’ve seen him catch and shoot more. Bari is being guarded tighter than ever so I expect more designs for him to be open. Feeding Kess down low and off screens will help.

I expect Bari, Kessler and AF to have a big game tonight. Boogs by 26.

Devan has been taking a lot of contested 3s as well. His shooting motion is slow which is allowing defenders to close out on him and have a hand in his face before he gets the shot off. It would be nice if there was a way to tell him to chill in the corner and only take the shot if there's no one on his side of the lane when he catches it. Better yet, don't worry about shooting 3s and instead get to the corner at the start of possession to be ready to make a baseline run for an alley-oop and then get ready to fight for an offensive board. He is incredibly valuable when he's doing those two things instead of missing 3s. 24% on 69 3PA on the year is not cutting it. He only shot 28% last year so this isn't just a shooting slump.
Devan needs to be our Rodman/ jam star

Reactions: DM8 and WDE_Tarp
If we weren’t playing “Vandy”, I wouldn’t be worried about being a 14 point favorite considering our past with them I mean. Still Boogs by 19 covering at the Clam until they don’t

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
Game day boner noses

Jerry Stachhouse is sort of the anti nerd. But even his cool, ex pro demeanor can’t wipe away the stench of try hard, nasally nerd-ness that covers that program. Boogs shove these guys in the visitors locker before the game and let them out to barely score 50. Boogs by 30

Game day boner noses

Jerry Stachhouse is sort of the anti nerd. But even his cool, ex pro demeanor can’t wipe away the stench of try hard, nasally nerd-ness that covers that program. Boogs shove these guys in the visitors locker before the game and let them out to barely score 50. Boogs by 30
Let’s hope Bruce gives Jerry a “nice suit, nerd” for the pregame handshake.

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
Can't recall a time under Bruce we started a game out down double digits before we scored. Vandy can shoot so we better start playing on both ends before we end up in a giant hole.

Looked like very little contact there by Dylan. Refs handing out bonuses like candy.

There are times when I think the refs are trying to be the show, but this is one of those times where the majority of the fouls were just dumb decisions on our part. Foul on Kessler was probably the only really bad call.

Need to lock down on D. These guys average 68/game and are on pace for 80+ right now. They can shoot so we've got to guard to the perimeter every possession.

Reactions: ShenaniganZ
ADVERTISEMENT