ADVERTISEMENT

+++++ Boogs (HYGs) vs UGA Official Game Thread +++++

I’ll be shocked if we win a game without Isaac. I won’t predict a blowout because that requires the other team to probably play really well. UT is playing better lately and Ole Miss almost beat us already. Again, hope I’m wrong, but I expect us to lose those two and any other game the rest of the way where Isaac isn’t playing.

The only way we win any games w/o Okoro is if the players beyond Wiley and JVon show up. They’ve been good enough the last 2. Everyone else was atrocious. Samir found ways to get 15pts but was inefficient and incapable of getting us buckets in key moment while forcing some bad looks. The rest of the gang has been beyond terrible.

Purifoy/Cambridge/Flanny/Jamal/Mac

Combined 1/23 from 3 over the last 2 games. That group should accidentally be able to hit 5 or 6 of those if they were goofing off with hook shots and one handed push shots. We can’t win games, likely even with Okoro, if those guys are gonna be THIS bad. Cause other than Flanny they don’t even offer effort or defense right now

Jamal doesn't even look like a SEC player to me. We need another horse on offense bad. Round of 32 team.

You kinda already predicted a blowout when you said “UT will run us out of the gym on Saturday and we’ll lose handily to Ole Miss”.

You must really think we’ll suck next year? No IO, no 5 Sr’s with Final Four experience and SEC Titles. Samir is at worst 3rd team All league. Wiley will get Hon Men at worst. Javon might join him. And you think we can’t win a game at home vs middle of the road SEC teams? BTW, Ole Miss almost beating us on the road is part of my argument, you can’t use that! WDE
If I were going to make an official prediction, I wouldn't put a number on it so I shouldn't have said anything about blowouts. UT and Ole Miss are both bad teams so predicting them to blow anyone out isn't a safe bet. I'll stick with the prediction that both beat us without Isaac though. Based on the last 2 games, we are one of the worst teams in the league right now without him. He brings so much to the table that his absence completely wrecks this team's ability to function at a competent level.

On next year, how good we are will depend completely on the new comers. If we played solely next year with our returning guys, that group probably doesn't win more than 4 games in the league. Sharife would be starting for us right now if he had reclassified. Add Jalen Green and then you have 2 elite scoring options surrounded by some guys who have the ability to be solid role players if they continue to develop.

Reactions: blmqst
The only way we win any games w/o Okoro is if the players beyond Wiley and JVon show up. They’ve been good enough the last 2. Everyone else was atrocious. Samir found ways to get 15pts but was inefficient and incapable of getting us buckets in key moment while forcing some bad looks. The rest of the gang has been beyond terrible.

Purifoy/Cambridge/Flanny/Jamal/Mac

Combined 1/23 from 3 over the last 2 games. That group should accidentally be able to hit 5 or 6 of those if they were goofing off with hook shots and one handed push shots. We can’t win games, likely even with Okoro, if those guys are gonna be THIS bad. Cause other than Flanny they don’t even offer effort or defense right now
Yeah, its been a complete meltdown without Isaac from so many guys. Danjel was playing great before he had the flu so I would chalk his terrible play up to that. Hopefully he turns it around once he's healthy. The rest of the guys its hard to figure out. I would have hoped Samir would step up to lead with Isaac out. He was playing extremely well before he went down. To have every guy outside of a couple play thier worst games of the year with Isaac would seem to indicate that removing him from the dynamic either makes everyone worse by taking away a guy the defense had to focus on or just kliled the team's confidence.

We are bad without Okoro. I think we would be equally bad without Samir or J'von (even though both had bad stretches their minutes would be tough to replace - especially Samir). We basically just aren't as deep as it seemed like we were at the beginning of the season. We have several guys that match up ok with mid-major talent, but really struggle against SEC talent. We can still make a run with Okoro, but it would be nice if we had the opposite kind of draw we had last year. Basically play a hapless team in R1 and a decent mid-major round 2 and maybe we make it to the 2nd weekend. Also, obviously need Okoro back so that our seeding doesn't fall too much.

Reactions: wcw3au1 and DM8
We are bad without Okoro. I think we would be equally bad without Samir or J'von (even though both had bad stretches their minutes would be tough to replace - especially Samir). We basically just aren't as deep as it seemed like we were at the beginning of the season. We have several guys that match up ok with mid-major talent, but really struggle against SEC talent. We can still make a run with Okoro, but it would be nice if we had the opposite kind of draw we had last year. Basically play a hapless team in R1 and a decent mid-major round 2 and maybe we make it to the 2nd weekend. Also, obviously need Okoro back so that our seeding doesn't fall too much.
yeah a couple of weeks before Okoro got the hammy pull I was tempted to post "we're gonna be BAD if we get any injuries to Okoro/JVon/Samir or even Austin". We were absolutely not positioned to be able to win games without any of them. Austin because of his rebounding, rim protection and general presence in the paint. The others because our offense all starts with them and any looks anyone else gets are based there.

What we see now is that Danjel/Devon etc all need to be setup to score. And when you removed one of the primary ways we can set them up they really, really struggle.

ADVERTISEMENT