ADVERTISEMENT

OT Home Improvement Thread

Fillup Marschell

Aug 8, 2015
Need to move a water filtration system from one house to another. I think I can disconnect it with out much issue, but not sure how to plug the hole where it connected / tapped into the copper.

Need to move a water filtration system from one house to another. I think I can disconnect it with out much issue, but not sure how to plug the hole where it connected / tapped into the copper.
They make a product called Shark Bites. It presses right onto the copper pipe. Super easy, Home Depot and Lowe's sell them. Many different fittings for various applications. Or, you could always sweat a plug on the end of the pipe, if you like to solder. I'd go with Shark Bites.

I finished and painted a new set of cabinets this fall in an attempt to save a little money. Here’s a tip: Never, ever in a million years do what my dumb ass did. Pay somebody to do that shit and save dough somewhere else

What color? or was it a stain?

I finished and painted a new set of cabinets this fall in an attempt to save a little money. Here’s a tip: Never, ever in a million years do what my dumb ass did. Pay somebody to do that shit and save dough somewhere else

So you bought new unfinished cabinets from Lowe’s or Home Depot and decided to finish yourself. Lol. Lesson learned.

I blame HGTV for this. They make it seem so quick and easy. They skip the behind-the-scenes stuff that is essential. Like skill and machinery.

All right now these “floating floor” vinyl plank bs. How hard are they to install or am I getting setup.

All right now these “floating floor” vinyl plank bs. How hard are they to install or am I getting setup.
If you can install laminate you can do it. The hardest part is getting the first tile squared up and in the correct place. After that it’s like putting an easy puzzle together until you get to the edges. Are you doing the floating or glue-down kind?

Reactions: Fillup Marschell
If you can install laminate you can do it. The hardest part is getting the first tile squared up and in the correct place. After that it’s like putting an easy puzzle together until you get to the edges. Are you doing the floating or glue-down kind?

Doing floating. Product is lifeproof vinyl planking. The house it is going in is on a slab. Kind of concerned about lack of padding between sub floor and product. Don’t know if it really needs it but wonder if it should from a flooring temp and comfort standpoint.

Doing floating. Product is lifeproof vinyl planking. The house it is going in is on a slab. Kind of concerned about lack of padding between sub floor and product. Don’t know if it really needs it but wonder if it should from a flooring temp and comfort standpoint.
Don’t know that. I’d ask the folks where you bought it, but they’re probably going to try to sell it to you regardless of whether you need it or not

Don’t know that. I’d ask the folks where you bought it, but they’re probably going to try to sell it to you regardless of whether you need it or not

I read the install instructions and any use of extra padding voids the limited lifetime warranty. Guess that gets me out of putting it down. Now I am reading about how we have to change settings on the vacuum because beater bar rotary brushes should not be used. Now I get to sit back and let someone else sweat that one ;)

Lifeproof from Home Depot? It's got a pretty good pad built in, as I recall. Should be good enough for any subfloor

Along home improvement lines, Moen plumbing fixtures are fantastic. They really are for life. Bought a shower sprayer like 10 years ago. Over the weekend, the hose connector broke. A 5 minute call later, I've got a new shower head on the way. Other than Ruger and Mossberg, best customer service I've experienced.

Along home improvement lines, Moen plumbing fixtures are fantastic. They really are for life. Bought a shower sprayer like 10 years ago. Over the weekend, the hose connector broke. A 5 minute call later, I've got a new shower head on the way. Other than Ruger and Mossberg, best customer service I've experienced.
Good to hear. Ive been buying all Moen fixtures as I replace old ones...

Reactions: Muttonchop
Thought I’d post a few before and after shots of my kitchen even though I’m obviously not quite finished...

2yzfrm8.jpg

14o6gw7.jpg

34evn0x.jpg

154hs0n.jpg

I pulled up carpets and tacks yesterday. Got one strip of linoleum that is super glued down and I am having to hammer a paint scraper under it but it’s only getting a smidge at a time. Anyone know what I can use to get it up?

I pulled up carpets and tacks yesterday. Got one strip of linoleum that is super glued down and I am having to hammer a paint scraper under it but it’s only getting a smidge at a time. Anyone know what I can use to get it up?
Had to do the same. Nothing that I found works very well. Your best bet is to go buy yourself a flat hoe and at least you can do all that BS standing up

Reactions: Harvey Specter
I usually go with a floor sander and just power through it. Unless it's concrete subfloor with tile, then use one those hammers

All right greggers. Need help. I put a couple rooms down. Floor looked good for two days. Now one room is floating on me a bit. This happened first in the great room. I pulled it up and reinstalled it thinking it happened because I took Christmas off without finishing the room. Worked 12 hours yesterday carefully pulling up and putting it back down making sure to finish the room. As I was clearing away tools, I looked at a previously finished room and saw the same thing. WTF is going on.

All right greggers. Need help. I put a couple rooms down. Floor looked good for two days. Now one room is floating on me a bit. This happened first in the great room. I pulled it up and reinstalled it thinking it happened because I took Christmas off without finishing the room. Worked 12 hours yesterday carefully pulling up and putting it back down making sure to finish the room. As I was clearing away tools, I looked at a previously finished room and saw the same thing. WTF is going on.
Did you leave a 1/4 gap or so around the edges? The only thing I can think is maybe it’s fitting a little too tight

Reactions: Muttonchop
So if they don’t have enough room they spread out instead of buckling? I guess I thought maybe I did not acclimate the material right

The wife is telling me it isn’t a big deal. I think it might be. It is the grey strip near the arrow.
D0-D85-A12-C12-E-46-F3-9-AF7-9-FC67844-F074.jpg

The wife is telling me it isn’t a big deal. I think it might be. It is the grey strip near the arrow.
D0-D85-A12-C12-E-46-F3-9-AF7-9-FC67844-F074.jpg
Hard to tell but it looks like that piece isn’t completely locked in or something. Check to make sure there isn’t a piece of trash or something in there that isn’t letting it lock together completely

ADVERTISEMENT