ADVERTISEMENT

+++++ Boogs (HYGs) vs Arkansas Official Game Thread +++++

MomentInTheSun

Dec 14, 2016
Don't have much to say about this one gang other than the turnaround from the UK game to tomorrow just feels so quick. I know mussleman has opted for a smaller squad in Little Rock and that they play pretty fast. Have a potential lottery pick on their hands too in Isaiah Joe. Hopefully Samir and Isaac can hold him in check. Will say, this is the first game where I'm not feeling confident. Boogs just aint the same on the road and I can easily see the HYGs having a bit of a letdown after the emotional gameday enhanced AUtlive game on Saturday.

Nerds at espn giving us a decent shout for a true road game. Would love to pick this one up but I'm going Hogs 79 Boogs 70

Vbm37Sa.jpg

Isaiah Joe has been dealing with some type of leg injury for a couple weeks and hasn’t quite been his normal self. So, Mason Jones has picked up his slack. Jones leads their team in scoring, rebounding, and assists. Jimmy Whitt Jr also had 26 in their last game at Bama. So it’s a bit of a three-headed monster. You expect to have to deal with Joe and Jones, but if Whitt can be that third scorer, they’re going to be super tough to defend.

We oughta kill them inside though. I think their tallest guy goes 6’7”.

Feel like we always get run there. Then again we completely outclass them. I have no idea how they’re winning games they have no size while at the same time not really having a true PG. 3% is not great.

Whoever would be considered their 4/5 can’t matchup physically with Isaac much less Austin. Prepared to take an L in this one but don’t see a good reason why we shouldn’t win.

same as everyone above, at this point I’m in full fledged “believe it when I see it” mode on the road

but... maybe we look back at the season and that Ole Miss win was the turning point similar to last years UGA game and this is where we begin our ascent to Atlanta

that’s not what I’m expecting, but I trust it’s gonna happen sometime in the next 4 weeks so baby steps tomorrow is all I’m looking for

Isaiah Joe has been dealing with some type of leg injury for a couple weeks and hasn’t quite been his normal self. So, Mason Jones has picked up his slack. Jones leads their team in scoring, rebounding, and assists. Jimmy Whitt Jr also had 26 in their last game at Bama. So it’s a bit of a three-headed monster. You expect to have to deal with Joe and Jones, but if Whitt can be that third scorer, they’re going to be super tough to defend.

Joe sat out the TCU game due to the injury, then had 16 points in 34 minutes vs the cawks....but he had 0 points in only 21 minutes vs bama. Without knowing anything other than he has nagging injury and looking at these box score numbers, I am wondering if he re-aggravated the injury Saturday. If he is not going to be a factor I like the Boog's chances here.

Joe sat out the TCU game due to the injury, then had 16 points in 34 minutes vs the cawks....but he had 0 points in only 21 minutes vs bama. Without knowing anything other than he has nagging injury and looking at these box score numbers, I am wondering if he re-aggravated the injury Saturday. If he is not going to be a factor I like the Boog's chances here.

A guy on another board said Joe’s knee was about the size of a basketball after the Bama game and thinks they’ll hold him out for a few games to get him healthy.

If Joe’s not out there, it allows us to key in on Jones more. I like our chances a little better.

same as everyone above, at this point I’m in full fledged “believe it when I see it” mode on the road

but... maybe we look back at the season and that Ole Miss win was the turning point similar to last years UGA game and this is where we begin our ascent to Atlanta

that’s not what I’m expecting, but I trust it’s gonna happen sometime in the next 4 weeks so baby steps tomorrow is all I’m looking for

I’m hoping we’ve learned from both the OM and UK games. We seemed to clearly define our identity, especially in the second half of both games. We were much more decisive and determined to get to the basket. We only attempted eleven 3s in the second half against UK, which is about where I think we should be. If we stay in that 18-22 attempt range and get 25-30 FTAs up, I think that’s where we’re at our best. Penetrate to kick to penetrate.

Looking at their lineup, two guys at 6’8” and one guy at 6’7”. And none of those three are big offensive weapons or 3-point shooters. Should be advantageous matchups for Mac and Wiley. They’re also one of the worst teams in the country at rebounding the offensive glass and barely better at preventing offensive rebounds. I don’t often advocate to work the ball inside, but this game might be the exception. They’re maybe 8 deep, especially if Isaiah Joe doesn’t play, and getting their thin front line in foul trouble could spell doom for them.

Just gotta figure out how to contain Jones and Whitt and not turn the ball over a bunch.

Looking at their lineup, two guys at 6’8” and one guy at 6’7”. And none of those three are big offensive weapons or 3-point shooters. Should be advantageous matchups for Mac and Wiley. They’re also one of the worst teams in the country at rebounding the offensive glass and barely better at preventing offensive rebounds. I don’t often advocate to work the ball inside, but this game might be the exception. They’re maybe 8 deep, especially if Isaiah Joe doesn’t play, and getting their thin front line in foul trouble could spell doom for them.

Just gotta figure out how to contain Jones and Whitt and not turn the ball over a bunch.
Was looking at their box score and mins in SEC play they basically had a 6 man rotation against Bama and that was with Joe playing 20. 2 other guys played 6 and 1 min each. They’re depth is already bad they’d be a joke if IJ wasn’t available but I guess that wouldn’t necessarily stop us from playing like straight ass in a road game.

On paper makes a lot of sense to feed Austin but then don’t want us to get all bogged down and turn the ball over repeatedly trying to get it to him. Loved what we did against Kentucky even though we shot like crap mostly didn’t waste a lot of effort trying to get it to Austin and he dominated the glass. No reason he can’t go 20/20 just cleaning up misses against their small lineup.

See I hate playing smaller teams because we’re going to try to run the game through Austin, and we’re shit at it.

Sounds like Joe will be out. As Denim said, they already had zero depth. We need to approach this the same way we did against UK. Attack the basket and draw fouls. If we can get even one of their guys in foul trouble, they will have to play one of their reserves. Bruce's comments make it sound like we will feed Austin in the post. If that is the case, hopefully its because we have cleaned up our entry pass game. If we can get him the ball on the low block, he should be able to score and live at the FT line. I am not certain we wouldn't be better off just letting him focus on boards and cleaning up misses. He could grab 20+ rebounds in a game like this if he plays 20+ minutes.

Last edited:
Would have been ecstatic if I knew we would win 2/3 from this past Saturday until next, but with IJ out its time for a good mid season BOOGIN’. I gotta go see my area regular season (repeat) Mini Champions open tourney play at about halftime tonight. I’ll have to library the second half & luckily Boog High has no internet service so I won’t be tempted to check in here.

Reactions: Denim Vest
Damn 8 pts already this o came ready. Well Doughty anyway. Time to put this garbage trying to feed the post away for good. It ain’t boog hoops.

samir on fire. Thank god he's shown up again cuz everyone else is doing their typical slow start trash

Samir not being 100% really hurts us defensively, Bruce really trying to keep him rested.

ADVERTISEMENT